Thursday, December 15, 2011

Review: Align in Time - Me & My Arrow


A couple weeks ago I posted about the discovery of a new post-rock, instrumental project from John Boles, called Align in Time (then named Me & My Arrow).  I had only heard one song from his album Me & My Arrow, but that one song immediately put this album high on my radar, although somewhat conservatively.  Why you might ask?  Well, I've found that many times post-rock groups will release a single that is easily accessible, but once you hear the rest of the album, it turns out that one single is the black sheep among the tracks.  Instead, the album will diverge to some ambient insanity filled with sounds that just cause my head to hurt.  So yes, I was a little reserved in my anticipation.

Well, December 13th has finally come and gone, and I've had a chance to listen to Me & My Arrow about 30 times (yup, this is what I like to call a "repeater"). To say the least, this album has exceeded my every expectation.  After listening to Me & My Arrow for the first time, I immediately had that feeling of "yeah, he gets it".  This is the kind of music that easily draws you in, grabs hold of your emotions (and ears), and runs with them.

The brilliance of Me & My Arrow lies in the simple, yet beautifully layered structure of each song.  I should be clear that "simplicity" should NOT be taken as an analogy to "repetition".  Boles manages to craft multilayered guitar melodies that keep every minute of this album fresh and pleasing to the ears.  However, the music never becomes frustratingly crowded, as can happen in many post-rock albums.  Boles will also sometimes make a small change in the chording that ever so slightly modifies the feeling coming from the music.  It's during those subtle chord changes where I often thought to myself, "well, that was cool".

Every song holds an extremely catchy melody that should satisfy almost anyone who likes rock.  I could give a rundown of all the tracks, but instead I'll let you experience the beauty of this album for yourself.  I suppose that "The Many Faces", "Men Without Chests", and "Run Home" are standouts for me.  I particularly love the build-up and heavy hook of "Run Home".  But really, this album should be heard as a single entity (on repeat).

Definitely check Me & My Arrow out!  It is definitely in my top-6 (the "6" will make more sense when I post my end of the year list) for the year.

You can stream the entire album and buy it over on Bandcamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Labels

...Of Sinking Ships 3 Doors Down 311 65daysofstatic A Winged Victory for the Sullen Abel Albums Align in Time All Get Out Amazon mp3 American Gospel Anberlin Anchor and Braille Andain As I Lay Dying Astronautalis August Burns Red Autopilot Off Balance and Composure Banquets Belle Noire Best Of Bon Iver Bonobo Boysetsfire Brand New Breton Brighter Than A Thousand Suns Bring Me The Horizon Bush Captain We're Sinking Cartel Caspian Circa Survive Citizen Cloakroom Coasta Coheed and Cambria Collapse Under The Empire Conditions Copeland Crash Of Rhinos Daft Punk Daylight Dead Sara Defeater DJ Shadow Emancipator End of the Year List Evaline Every Avenue Fear Factory Fink Foo Fighters Four Year Strong Free Streaming From Indian Lakes fun. Funeral For A Friend Future Ghosts Good Old War Hands Like Houses Hans Zimmer HRVRD I Am The Avalanche I The Mighty If These Trees Could Talk Ilan Rubin Incubus iTunes Jack's Mannequin James Grant James Newton Howard Jimmy Eat World Jody Wisternoff Joe Hedges Kevin Devine La Dispute Loic Maurin Looper Lostprophets M83 Make Do and Mend Mallory Knox Manchester Orchestra Massive Attack Mayday Parade Me and My Arrow Middle Class Rut Minus the Bear Mixtapes Mogwai Morcheeba Moving Mountains Nathan Johnson Native New Found Glory Nick Warren Nine Inch Nails O'brother Ólafur Arnalds Panic At the Disco Paramore Pity Sex Playlist Polar Bear Club Portishead Psychic Babble Republic of Wolves Reverse The Curse Review Rian Johnson Run For Cover Records Russian Circles Sainthood Reps Saltillo Sasha Saves the Day Seahaven Simfy Sins Soilwork Songs States Take Cover The Almost The Classic Crime The Company We Keep The Dangerous Summer The Dark Knight Rises The Dear Hunter The Devil Wears Prada The Early November The Gaslight Anthem The Graduate The Horrible Crowes The Ongoing Concept The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus The Wonder Years There For Tomorrow Thievery Corporation This Love Thrice Thursday Tides Of Man Tigers On Trains Top Ten Touche Amore Transit Tricky Troubled Coast Turnover Tycho UNKLE We Are The Ocean Wolves at the Gate Yellowcard You Me At Six Young Statues Zero 7

Followers

Search This Blog