Friday, January 4, 2013

Best of 2012


Well, I'm a bit late as usual, but I've finally come up with my end of the year lists.  Honestly, this year was really difficult.  I had a real hard time putting an order to all of the albums.  For example, From Indian Lakes dropped their album late in the year, but it totally blew me away.  Had that album on repeat all the time.  I suppose I tried to order the albums according to how much I listened to each one.  In any case, all albums in this list are fantastic!  So, without further adieu...

Top 30 Albums of the 2012:

1) From Indian Lakes - Able Bodies
2) Anberlin - Vital
3) Coasta - Sunzal EP
4) Caspian - Waking Season
5) Circa Survive - Violent Waves
6) Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight Rises
7) Yellowcard - Southern Air
8) Breton - Other People's Problems
9) Make Do and Mend - Everything You Ever Loved
10) Daytrader - Twelve Years
11) I the Mighty - Karma Never Sleeps EP
12) Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
13) Howard Shore - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
14) If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest
15) Athletics - Who You Are Is Not Enough
16) Future Ghosts - Oh, Great City EP
17) Prawn - Ships EP
18) P.O.S. - We Don't Even Live Here
19) Now, Now - Threads
20) Troubled Coast - I've Been Thinking About Leaving You EP
21) The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten
22) The Menzingers - On the Impossible Past
23) Anchor & Braille - The Quiet Life
24) American Gospel - Tall Tales, Vol. 1
25) As I Lay Dying - Awakened
26) Japandroids - Celebration Rock
27) Pentimento - Pentimento
28) NGHBRS - Hellomind EP
29) The Swellers - Running Out Of Places To Go EP
30) Collapse Under the Empire - Fragments of a Prayer

Special Mention:

A couple albums came out this year that would definitely fit into my top 20, but I feel they don't quite fit the category.  One is a remix album of one of the best trip-hop artists, while the other is a Christmas album from a solid metal band.  You should definitely check both out!

Bonobo - Black Sands Remixed
August Burns Red - Sleddin' Hill, A Holiday Album

Best Songs (in alphabetical order):

Always Summer - Yellowcard
Continuous Thunder - Japandroids
Firebreather - Daytrader
Foam - Breton
Gone In Bloom and Bough - Caspian
I'll Find a Way - Circa Survive
I'll Never Let You Go - American Gospel
Imagine the Fire - Hans Zimmer
In Currents - The Early November
In With the New - Anchor & Braille
Paintings - From Indian Lakes
Patient Hands - Troubled Coast
Self-Starter - Anberlin
The Slide - Coasta
Spotless - Future Ghosts

So, there you go.  What do you think?  What are your top albums for 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment